Lisa/Liza is the lo-fi, psych-folk recording project of Maine-based guitarist, singer and songwriter Liza Victoria. Deserts of Youth is her debut LP, after numerous limited edition cassette and CDr releases. Deserts of Youth is an intimate collection of seven original songs, recorded at home by Victoria, using just her voice and her acoustic guitar.
"Deserts of Youth is an album about the parts of our past that remain within us, and visiting these landscapes with recognition of ourselves instead of a meditation on what has been lost, or is no longer a resource or a path we can use. It is about meeting the past and facing it with a sense of ownership instead of abandon; the idea that one can see a desert as a place of desolation or a place of needed reflection, full of life, and strength."
Praise for "Century Woods," the first single from Deserts of Youth:
"Carried on the lightest of breezes, ('Century Woods') manages to take on numerous foreboding shapes thanks to the fragile, spectral nature of Victoria’s utterly compelling lead vocal, that never once deviates from the path, never once stops to check whether anyone is following, but drags you through the entire piece regardless.
It’s a wonderful piece of work, a fragile expanse that seems to fold in on itself, like a forest slowly departing in the shrivelling, encroaching dusk."
-Tom Johnson, GoldFlakePaint
"'Century Woods' exists outside of time entirely. Victoria opens the song in a drifting, half-existent time signature, her careful, close-mic’d guitar lapping gently like sleepy waves at high tide. Her vocals reverberate powerfully without an ounce of reverb. The song’s dry production—seemingly no overdubs or effects at all—actually makes it sound even more mysterious: the magic is entirely in her performance. Six minutes in, as the song’s jazzy, Karen-Dalton-on-ambien melody begins to settle into your brain, it just kind of ends. The last sentence is left unfinished, the chord progression unresolved. Victoria’s haunting, imagistic dream logic is only beginning to reveal itself."
-Sam Sodomsky, Pitchfork
Momentary Glance, the new album by Lisa/Liza, will be released on November 30, 2018 on Orindal Records.
Photo by Philip Andresen
LISA/LIZA LIVE DATES
11/17 Brooklyn, NY @ Wonders of Nature %
12/02 Chicago, IL @ Landland >#
12/06 Vancouver, BC @ Wise Lounge >&
12/07 Seattle, WA @ Barboza >
12/08 Anacortes, WA @ Kennelly Keys >
12/09 Portland, OR @ Turn Turn Turn >
12/11 San Francisco, CA @ Hotel Utah >$
12/12 Los Angeles, CA @ Bootleg Theater >£
12/14 Tucson, AZ @ 191 Toole >?
12/15 Phoenix, AZ @ Trunk Space >?
12/17 Denver, CO @ Hi Dive >?
% w/ Matt Bachmann, Greg Jamie & Ed Askew
# w/ Izzy Olive (of Half Gringa)
> w/ Advance Base
& w/ To Bad Catholics
$ w/ Stephen Steinbrink
£ w/ Little Wings
? w/ Karima Walker
- Lisa/Liza Bandcamp
- Lisa/Liza Facebook
- Lisa/Liza Soundcloud
- Lisa/Liza Twitter
- "There in the Water" video
- "Wander" music video, directed by Greg Jamie
- GoldFlakePaint previews "Century Woods"
- Pitchfork previews "Century Woods"
- The Le Sigh previews "Deserts of Youth"
- Music Won't Save You names Deserts of Youth their Album of the Week
- Wake the Deaf reviews Deserts of Youth
- Impose Magazine interviews Lisa/Liza
- Pitchfork reviews Deserts of Youth
- Bangor Daily News reviews Deserts of Youth
- The Le Sigh reviews Deserts of Youth
- MOJO reviews Deserts of Youth
- Portals interviews Lisa/Liza
- Impose premieres "Wander" music video
- Portland Phoenix reviews Barn Coat EP
- Atwood Magazine interviews Lisa/Liza
- Stereogum premieres "The Matador Pt 2" from Momentary Glance
- Post-Trash premieres "Real Estate"
- Various Small Flames premieres "Tea Kettle"
- Post-Trash reviews Momentary Glance
- Pitchfork calls Momentary Glance an "album" you should "listen to now"
- Various Small Flames names Momentary Glance one of their favorite albums of 2018
- The Vinyl District gives Momentary Glance an "A"