Songwriter Katy Davidson (preferred pronoun: they/them) revived the band Dear Nora in January 2017 when Orindal reissued the thirteen-year-old album Mountain Rock on vinyl. The reissue received great acclaim and the band toured the west and east coasts last year. Spurred by the momentum, Davidson decided to create the first album of new Dear Nora material in a decade, Skulls Example (release date: May 25, 2018).
Davidson has been composing, recording, and performing for nearly twenty years. Davidson is from rural Arizona, has lived in Portland, San Francisco, and Los Angeles, and currently resides in Twentynine Palms, California. Davidson has played under a handful of monikers, but Dear Nora is the one most widely recognized. Dear Nora originally started in 1999, released a handful of enigmatic, compelling albums throughout the early 2000s, and toured across the United States, Japan, Sweden and Australia. Throughout the years, the Dear Nora live band featured a rotating cast of band members, though oftentimes Davidson played solo. Davidson retired the band name Dear Nora in 2008 and began making music under the names Lloyd & Michael and Key Losers.
Davidson's music represents a spectrum of styles encompassing classic rock, experimental music, ethereal pop, new age, punk, and R&B. Davidson writes lyrics with layered meanings that contemplate the vast realms and intersections of wilderness, humanity, morality, technology, late capitalism, and love.
DEAR NORA LIVE DATES
(all shows are solo unless otherwise noted)
10/01 Portland, ME @ Space Gallery (w/ Greg Jamie & Julianna Barwick)
10/03 Middletown, CT @ Wesleyan University (email weirdcactus at gmail for details)
10/04 Cambridge, MA @ Gallery 263
11/03 Portland, OR @ The Old Church Concert Hall (full band show!)
12/03 Asbury Park, NJ @ Shore Caribbean Restaurant
- Dear Nora official website
- The Believer interviews Katy Davidson
- PopMatters reviews Mountain Rock
- PDX Monthly interviews Katy Davidson
- The Fader profiles Dear Nora
- Portland Mercury interviews Katy Davidson
- Bandcamp interviews Katy Davidson
- Noisey profiles Dear Nora
- Pitchfork names Mountain Rock "Best New Reissue"
- The Fader interviews Katy & premieres "Sunset on Humanity"
- The Independent reviews Skulls Example
- Brooklyn Vegan reviews Skulls Example
- Pitchfork reviews Skulls Example
- MXDWN reviews Skulls Example